July 1st, 2019

It's July! So it's time for me to update you on what's going on with the comic, and with me.

The conclusion I've come to, as the spooky friend up there has mentioned, is that I'm gonna need to put Runewriters on indefinite hiatus. I wanna check in at the start of each year and let you guys know if anything's changed or if we're still in chill mode, but other than that, I'll probably be quiet over here.
There's a couple reasons -- the smaller reason is that my current comicking method isn't sustainable, and I need to find a method to produce work I'm happy with that won't wreck my hand in the process! The larger reason is that I'm really creatively burnt out on Runewriters.
It's tough to describe. It's still a story I'm attached to and really want to tell, but sitting down and thinking about it at all is... exhausting. I do need to set it aside completely, without pushing myself to figure out when I can Get Back Into It.

In the meantime, as some of you may have heard, I've gotten a job! I'm now an artist for Tattered Weave -- I've started making some of their tiny clothes and other art assets that haven't been released yet. It's really exciting! I was always worried about getting an art job like this, afraid I wouldn't have time to work on my stories anymore. But right now, while I can't work on my story, it's a really great opportunity to keep creating and solving creative problems without putting pressure on myself to Produce and Monetise Personal Content.

Will Runewriters come back?
I hope so! ...I know that this isn't a question I can answer with certainty -- losing touch with your own story while on hiatus is a tale as old as time, and RW is a big story I can't just crank out. I know how scary an announcement like this is. I don't wanna push through burnout and produce a bad comic, but it's still a story I really hope to tell. I can't plan or predict how things will go -- I do want to finish it as soon as I'm able! But at this point, we'll have to wait and see. I can only promise to keep you guys posted as much as possible!
I'm still deciding what to do about the store. I think I'll probably put up book four sometime this week and leave it open for a month or two and then close it until I'm up and doing stuff again? I'll keep you guys posted!!

If you just wanna keep up with my art, I'm still on tumblr and twitter, and my patreon is switching over to be sketchblog posts and livestreams for folks who just wanna see the stuff I do for fun while I'm taking a break!

Thanks to everyone who's been so kind through all this. This is scary, and I know it's definitely not what y'all were hoping for, but I know it's what I need to do! Thank you all for being so supportive and understanding while I figure this stuff out. <3

Comment by Rothkal

While its disapointing that the Hiatus is indefinite, you come first. Take care of yourself out there. We'll be here if you need us.

posted at 7:39am on July 1st, 2019

Comment by Himochi

I'm sending lots of support your way!! Taking care of yourself is most important. <3

posted at 11:22am on July 1st, 2019

Comment by Kiri

I've always said that I'll be here to read this story whenever you're ready to tell it. This is still true and will probably always be true! This story and your work in general, and the amount of thought and sincerity you put into it, has always been really inspiring to me. I hope you'll be able to finish it someday, but after waiting a long time, I find that I don't really mind waiting some more. It's all good. Take your time. :) Find a process that works for you.

And congrats on the TW job! I think it's awesome you'll be able to contribute officially to another project you're obviously pretty invested in anyway. :P

posted at 2:03pm on July 1st, 2019

Comment by Sahara

I will miss your comic, but echo what Kiri said: I'll be here to read the story whenever you are up for telling it. Taking care of yourself physically, financially, and creatively are all so very important. Best of luck with your new job, that looks like a fun project to work on!

posted at 3:38pm on July 1st, 2019

Comment by VoidHamlet

Best of luck - I am grateful for a story as much as anyone but it better not come at the cost of the soul, flesh, etc. of the storyteller.

posted at 8:23pm on July 1st, 2019

Comment by SivDre

I wish you all the best! RW has been a fantastic story and I love your imagination behind it. If it's a choice between a long break or the end of that imagination I think everyone can Agree to a long vacation. ;) Suggestion though. if and when you come back it might help your juices to flow if you invite a guest artist once in a while for a filler spot. kinda keep it light for you and give a chance to gain other influences and art ideas. Alot of my favorite web comics seem to do this semi-regularly and it seems to work for them. as well as spread readers around. Just remember we fans appreciate all your time and effort and will all be rooting for you in your new career!

posted at 12:31am on July 2nd, 2019

Comment by TheOtherDibbler

Thanks for the update, and hooray for the cool job. Taking time to recharge your creative batteries and focus on other things for a while (however long that may prove to be) is a good idea.

posted at 7:11am on July 2nd, 2019

Comment by Nerrin

Creative burn-out is really understandable, as is just being busy. Take care of yourself, and we'll keep the... RSS feed... subscribed... Okay not that that takes any particular effort...

posted at 10:29am on July 2nd, 2019

Comment by OwlBear33

sad about the hiatus, but don't worry about it, I'm in the discord even if I don't interact much (read at all), and I'll probably still be checking back here every Tuesday out of habit more than anything, though I do look forward to the eventual return.

not sure tattered weave is my thing, but I wish you luck with it!

posted at 6:11pm on July 2nd, 2019

Comment by Mesmer

just got back into this comic, and I'm a little sad to hear this, but I totally understand that you need to do what's best for you, and you can't force yourself to tell a story when you're having a hard time. I wish you all the best, and I hope you can come back when you feel ready. :)

posted at 4:44pm on July 4th, 2019

Comment by mcafee.com/activate

Comment is awaiting moderation.

posted at 8:07pm on July 16th, 2019

Comment by Columbus

Comment is awaiting moderation.

posted at 8:37pm on July 17th, 2019

Comment by India

Es sind maximal 9 von 10 Trophäen erspielbar.

posted at 9:47pm on July 17th, 2019

Comment by Wilma

Es sind maximal 0 von 42 Trophäen erspielbar.

posted at 11:17pm on July 17th, 2019

Comment by Eleanore

Mit Mehrkosten verbunden. Für die WSA Pressearbeit.

posted at 2:31am on July 18th, 2019

Comment by Carmine

Es sind maximal 28 von 31 Trophäen erspielbar.

posted at 9:28pm on July 18th, 2019

Comment by Trudi

Die gewählte Filiale speichern wir für Sie dauerhaft.

posted at 10:12pm on July 18th, 2019

Comment by Brendan

Comment is awaiting moderation.

posted at 11:02pm on July 18th, 2019

Comment by Rosalyn

Comment is awaiting moderation.

posted at 2:31am on July 19th, 2019

Comment by Kampfsport Pokale

Es sind maximal 38 von 42 Trophäen erspielbar.

posted at 5:33pm on July 19th, 2019

Comment by איבוד מסת שריר

Comment is awaiting moderation.

posted at 8:28pm on July 19th, 2019

Comment by IT Support Plano

Comment is awaiting moderation.

posted at 9:51pm on July 19th, 2019