November 14th, 2017

wait what who are these guys

Don't forget to vote for an extra doodle! This one asks an obvious question.

(Also, a small note regarding the last page -- a few folks in the Discord weren't sure, so I'll clarify here too that yeah, Quentin's wearing a binder! He's trans! I wanted to not make it a big reveal or anything and aPPARENTLY IT WAS SO LOWKEY THAT IT WASNT EVEN NOTICEABLE so I thought it might be nice to confirm. xD )

Comment by Himochi

Whoa who are these nerds what happened to the Agorath. ;P

posted at 12:01am on November 14th, 2017

Reply by Himochi

On a more serious note, the colours this chapter don't cease to amaze!!!

posted at 12:03am on November 14th, 2017

Comment by Kiri

Ahhh, sunrise lighting looks so nice!!

posted at 12:04am on November 14th, 2017

Comment by Dread

Big agree with the colors- the transition is so good

posted at 12:30am on November 14th, 2017

Reply by Shazzbaa

Ahhhhh thank you all so much!!

posted at 12:53pm on November 14th, 2017

Comment by Sahara

I CALLED IT! (About Agorath)

posted at 2:38am on November 14th, 2017

Comment by Salaru

Just wondering. Is there more story in the books than in the webcomic site? I hope so. Just have to save up for them.

posted at 3:03am on November 14th, 2017

Reply by NoRAd

I'm pretty sure the books are at least mostly collections of the story so far, but in print form.

posted at 8:01am on November 14th, 2017

Reply by Shazzbaa

NoRAd has it! All of the comic itself can be read here on the website -- the extras in the books are things like concept art, development notes, and a couple snippets of world info!

posted at 12:53pm on November 14th, 2017

Comment by Glew

That vote incentive XD

posted at 4:18am on November 14th, 2017

Comment by Darsara

Vote incentive: Well...always best to be prepared.
Comic: Well, if I was a witch in this setting I would really want to run around being obvious either!

posted at 9:17am on November 14th, 2017

Reply by Shazzbaa

"Hey yeah I wanna ask a favour but first lemme just cast a spell real quick! Haha no reason, don't worry about it!!!!"

posted at 12:54pm on November 14th, 2017

Comment by Kaya

So what makes the ink magic?

posted at 11:11am on November 14th, 2017

Reply by The Wing

That is a brilliant question, the answer to which I would really love to know. I hope Tareth asks on the next page!

posted at 11:50am on November 14th, 2017

Reply by Shazzbaa

Magic is an inherent quality of some objects! I guess it'd be kinda like how we have some objects that are magnetic because of what they're made of; some objects just have a magical quality that enables them to be used for runes!

posted at 12:58pm on November 14th, 2017

Comment by Why?!?!

Whose bright idea was it to vow to "never rest"? I'm pretty sure any productivity gained is negated by the fact that all your members are going to die by the time they're 35. Unless this is exclusive to the Agoraths? That would explain why Quentin looks so exhausted and the other Order people we've seen seem relatively fine. Poor Quentin :(

posted at 12:35pm on November 14th, 2017

Comment by Nath

Aw man the first thing I noticed was the binder last page :'D It's awesome to see good trans rep in one of my favorite comics!!

asjdhasld that vote incentive tho. PLEASE LET US SEE THE FISH RUNE IN ACTION SOME DAY

posted at 2:32pm on November 14th, 2017

Comment by Fal

Sev. Why.

Also blue forcefield's anti-magic properties confirmed, it seems.

posted at 5:17pm on November 14th, 2017

Comment by Toanovu

Oh! New characters? I mean, I guess these new people could be a fun little diversion. Who knows, maybe we’ll love them! They seem interesting, I like blue cube squirrel girl. But I hope they don’t keep us away from our main characters Esra and Quentin and just all of the interesting things that happen with the main plot involving the order for too long, we are really starting to delve into interesting depths there :O

posted at 9:51pm on November 14th, 2017

Comment by Somebody

That was a binder? I honestly just assumed it was a typical undergarment in-world. It seemed perfectly reasonable for him to be wearing an undershirt under his fancy uniform, especially since I don't think we've seen anybody shirtless except the obvious outlier, Sev. Who knows what these people layer under their clothes.
That's a cool detail, though! Except that I had been imagining him with an abnormally deep bass voice, which now seems unlikely. *Le Sigh*

(....I haven't commented in a while but I really love where this has been going and I'm really glad we got to see more of the Order and I'm excited and thanks so much for writing all of this <3 <3 <3 <3)

posted at 10:52pm on November 15th, 2017

Reply by The Wing

And here I thought it was some bizarre style of male corset, but I was like eh, why would Quentin care about having an elegant hourglass figure? Turns out it has quite the opposite effect!

posted at 1:03pm on November 16th, 2017

Reply by Somebody

Male corset would make sense, the Order is obviously very.... aesthetic. Quentin in particular doesn't seem to be, so the specific application would be weird, but it would also make sense for a guy who lets himself fall completely to pieces in every other area of life have *one* thing that he'll never let go of.
Ironically, I actually headcannoned Esra as trans a loong time ago. I can't remember my reasoning (or if I even had any), but it made so much sense at the time.

posted at 1:26pm on November 16th, 2017

Reply by The Wing

You know, I can see how you headcannoned Esra as transgender; he's got that pointy chin and he's apparently short (seriously, I can't believe 5'7" is short for guys in America - my dad is 5'6" and that's pretty standard where I live!). But he's also got stubby fingers and small fingernails, which are uncommon in women. Quentin, on the other hand, has that awkward, lanky figure and slender hands (though my dad has hands like that...), and this totally explains why he doesn't have a Gandalf beard from lack of bodily maintenance, as his hair has otherwise just been allowed to go completely out of control.

But I always thought his face was quite masculine, I think it's the large chin or the long nose, and he's so damn tall! So it was a twist I totally wasn't expecting, however many signs suggested it.

posted at 4:18am on November 17th, 2017

Reply by Somebody

Ditto on Quentin's masculine features. The beard thing is a good point, but some men just don't beard easily, and obviously he DOES put some effort into his personal appearance, or he wouldn't be wearing a binder... late at night... while highly stressed and in an uncomfortable position... and completely in private. Or at least, that's what I would assume - the only friend I know who binds her chest (not transgendered, just agendered) will only do so for short periods of time. I can barely stand wearing a stiff bra if I don't have to.
I disagree on Esra's hands, though. They are a little big for a woman's, but Quentin's are bigger and more prominent.

(Conversations this reveal has prompted:
Exact body proportions by sex
Hair growth and personal appearance
Cultural differences in undergarments)

posted at 2:26pm on November 17th, 2017

Reply by Fal

I assumed it was a kind of sleeveless t-shirt too.
The lines along it kinda look like folds from a loose garment if you're not paying attention
(lots of people overlooked Xira loosing a finger, so I think subtlety in comics is really hard to balance)

posted at 2:43pm on November 16th, 2017