March 21st, 2012

In which Severian continues to be rotten at distinguishing gender.

As always, voting for Runewriters gets you a peek at my process! Including when I hit the wrong buttons in Photoshop.

Vote Incentive for This Comic.

Comment by Ryorin

Tareth's eyesight must be about a bazillion times better than mine; I wouldn't be able to see that guards face, let alone read her lips from that distance.

Good thing I'm not Tareth!

posted at 1:36am on March 21st, 2012

Reply by Shazzbaa

She couldn't either! That's why she asked Sev to repeat it. :3

posted at 1:41am on March 21st, 2012

Reply by Ryorin

Did he also repeat the "You could both be abberants" to her or did she just guess the gist?

Also: ditto what Kiri said below me: awwwww! XD

posted at 4:21pm on March 21st, 2012

Reply by Shazzbaa

Well, that seems like it could go either way, based on the page! xD

Either
(1) Severian has been mouthing the whole thing back to Tareth, like in panel 3, so she can lipread him instead. Since he's off panel we can't see it, and since he's not saying it aloud we can't hear him.
Or
(2) Tareth guessed at what the guard was saying and got it more or less right.
Or
(3) Tareth didn't catch the guard's response at all and just kept talking anyway, which is why her response doesn't strictly answer the guard's question.

Frankly, any of these makes sense to me!

posted at 7:50pm on March 21st, 2012

Comment by Kiri

AWWWWW, Tareth's disability is helpful! XD

posted at 1:41am on March 21st, 2012

Comment by Tama-chan

Mew! Finally! Yay!

posted at 10:20am on March 21st, 2012

Comment by Marvelous TK

Oh, Severian, you made the same gender mistake I did. :D Truly we are kindred spirits.

posted at 6:16pm on March 21st, 2012

Comment by Brad

One thing I didn't notice at first, not until after looking after voting and seeing the intermediate versions, was that the guard has some sort of weird rock stuff on her hand and face.

Rocky guards, talking moon wolves, it's enough to make one start thinking that the whole "aberrant" thing is a lifestyle choice. :-/

posted at 12:34pm on March 24th, 2012

Reply by Ryan S

Haha! That's an interesting thought - I wonder if aberrants are people who got altered somehow, or if it's a distinctly non-human sort of creature.

posted at 12:03pm on March 26th, 2012

Comment by Tama-chan

12:51 on a Monday...it's not update yeeeeet... And I'm on the west coast!

posted at 3:52am on March 27th, 2012

Reply by adn

well she did say a while ago updates would be late in March while she finishes TNH, so... it may be a while yet

posted at 11:30am on March 27th, 2012

Comment by Amaryllis

So, having a speech impediment means I'll never be mistaken for an aberrant. Cool! I'm sure that'll come in handy someday. :P

posted at 11:12pm on April 1st, 2012

Comment by SotiCoto

Ah! The gate lady has weird stuff growing on her. SHE must be an aberrant! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

posted at 7:41am on March 9th, 2016