August 22nd, 2011

Clearly the best of friends!

Some of you guys watched me putting flat colours on this at the livestream thing with me and some friends, which is now conveniently recorded in case you wish to relive our occasionally horrifying conversations. :D

As always, you can vote for the pencils/inks/initial colouring that went into the making of this page!

Vote Incentive for This Comic.

Comment by Spike

Severian must be kicking the door to get the thudding noise. I'm imagining something that's more like THWACK! . . . pop pop pop pop pop. =D

posted at 7:29am on August 22nd, 2011

Reply by Shazzbaa

LOL YES I was sort of figuring he'd kick. Or like... shoulder check it or something. SOMETIMES he learns from his mistakes...! Sometimes.

I was imagining the tentacles hypothetically making a squishier sound when I was pondering this, but I think you've probably created the perfect sound-effect.

posted at 5:10pm on August 22nd, 2011

Comment by Cony

I really like how Tareth's speaking voice is in a font that's rougher than the font that you use for other characters.

posted at 10:29am on August 22nd, 2011

Reply by Shazzbaa

Ahhhh, thank you so much! I'm kinda personally fond of that detail, I won't lie.

posted at 5:08pm on August 22nd, 2011

Comment by MJ

Taneth is speaking go cleanly. You might need to do that for your hearing readers but the deaf tend to leave off the S and T sounds. The also leave out words like 'did' and 'to' or "What you do your hands"

posted at 12:28pm on August 22nd, 2011

Reply by Shazzbaa

Oh neat! This is cool info. Tareth's speaking is actually intended to be very clean, though! She has a pretty strong accent but not much else, which I decided to show with a font change rather than spelling things out in her dialect. :3

I don't often try to find celebrity voices for my characters, but I did for Tareth -- Heather Whitestone is the closest deaf celebrity voice I could find to how I imagine her sounding. Deanne Bray is closer in terms of actual voice, but her accent seems too clean for Tarri.
I do not actually know that many deaf celebrities, though, so there might be a better example out there!

posted at 5:06pm on August 22nd, 2011

Reply by MJ

We looked on YouTube but couldn't find anything that was suitable. A good reference might be the movie "Children of a Lesser God" with Richard Drifus and Marly Matland.

Celebrities are coached so they are not the best example of deaf speach but they maybe appropriate for a hearing audiences that has never heard deaf speech. You would get to many letters from the grammer nazi's.

If you would like to know more my wife who is hard of hearing also has a masters degree in deaf ed. Feel free to email us. She doesn't read web comics much but I do. She loves teaching people about the deaf.

posted at 10:33pm on August 23rd, 2011

Reply by Shazzbaa

Hm! I don't think it'd be fair to say I need to dumb it down for hearing audiences, so to speak, but I do think that lots of dialect/misspelling of words can be distracting for a major character, whether you're familiar with the accent in question or not.

The important thing for Tareth really isn't understanding EXACTLY what her voice sounds like; it is understanding that her voice is different, so that is all I've chosen to convey.

posted at 1:32am on August 24th, 2011

Reply by MJ

Very true, For that matter the profoundly deaf don't talk and when they do it's not understandable.

One thing they do that you can use in your art is that signing involves the complete body not just the hands. Face and Body gesters are just as important as the sign.

posted at 11:25am on August 24th, 2011

Reply by Annie

Actually, that's not always true. I'm profoundly deaf and while I have a slight deaf accent, I speak clearly. In multiple languages, even. Also, saying "they do" and "they don't" is pretty generalizing and reductive. Deaf accents aren't always indicative of hearing level or level of deafness of ability to speak, after all. Just wanted to put that on the record.

posted at 9:34pm on August 7th, 2013

Comment by Brittany

OMG I love all of the font changes, subtle but awesome at the same time. Oh goodness I love these two so much! Beautiful page once again.

Also, I love that there are "savages" and "traders" and you are one excellent host for sure. XD

posted at 2:27pm on August 22nd, 2011

Reply by Shazzbaa

Yay, thank you! And ahahahaha I'm glad you enjoyed the stream. xD Next time I'll try to be doing the more interesting bits!

posted at 5:11pm on August 22nd, 2011

Comment by Silver

Considering she was leaning against the door and all, it wouldn't be that difficult to feel the vibrations of it being kicked. If he wasn't shaking the entire house as it was. :P

Tentacle handsign, DO IT! :D

posted at 1:13am on August 23rd, 2011

Reply by Shazzbaa

And that is, actually, why she was leaning on the door! :D

Handsign with tentacles would be a disaster. xD Though I'm sure you could like... invent a version for tentacled hands?

That would have sort of a niche market, though.

posted at 11:15am on August 24th, 2011

Reply by Silver

"That would have sort of a niche market, though."

Can't...stop...laughing. That was pure gold. You should be a comedian. :3

posted at 5:13pm on August 24th, 2011

Comment by Cony

Is the livestream thing going to be a regular thing?

posted at 7:56am on August 24th, 2011

Reply by Shazzbaa

Not regular, in the sense of happening every page or at a consistent time, but I do hope to do it more often!
I can be kind of weird about people seeing my pages before they're done, and the truth is that a lot of times I'm colouring til midnight on Sunday which... is kind of an awkward time. xD If I can get it ready to colour ahead of time and also have a page that I'm okaying showing to people early, then I hope to do it more often. :3

posted at 11:19am on August 24th, 2011

Comment by Distilda

How could Tareth still hear Sev's speech anyway? Same thing right at the front of the comic as well. Because the hand signs tend to be encased in the < > quotes, but Sev's speech to Tareth doesn't have that. Lip reading? O__O

posted at 10:11am on August 24th, 2011

Reply by Shazzbaa

You're right - Sev was signing to her on page 8, but he usually talks. As to your question: you'll see! :3

posted at 11:24am on August 24th, 2011

Reply by Cony

Is it magic? I bet it's magic! Everything can be solved by magic.

posted at 4:26pm on August 24th, 2011

Comment by Pookarah

I've always just sort of assumed he conked his head on the door in moderate frustration here xD

posted at 9:55pm on October 3rd, 2013