June 27th, 2011

Oh my.

As always, you can vote for Runewriters and see the progress pictures! This time there are a couple silly notes on them.

Vote Incentive for This Comic.

Comment by Skarlog

aw. But I like Fedoras~i've got like... I totally would read Shouty man and Russian half-elf have adventures!:D

posted at 12:45am on June 27th, 2011

Reply by Shazzbaa

(Hahaha, I see someone found the title text!)

Fedoras are awesome to wear and terrible to draw.

posted at 9:46am on June 28th, 2011

Reply by skarlog

(You didn't hide it very well)

so are cowboy hats D:

posted at 2:57am on June 30th, 2011

Reply by myIDID

They work 'round the clock to find and slay Aberrants, but their real mission is to get their leader to stop staring off dramatically for long enough to see his face.

posted at 7:25pm on May 15th, 2013

Comment by Cloud

I love that even in the process pictures you can read Sev's body language as "UGH fine whatever shut up!" XD

And just out of curiosity, how do you do your perspective? I mean, I see those lines you used, but I'm curious how you set them about to use/choose which perspective you want for each panel, etc.

Great work, as always. ^^

posted at 2:29pm on June 27th, 2011

Reply by Shazzbaa

Thanks a lot! :"D

To answer your perspective question as best I can (WARNING: THIS WILL GET LONG)

Regarding the element of "how do you do those lines?" I honestly just draw them in photoshop with a one-pixel line tool, then merge all the lines into one rasterised layer, and stroke the layer so I can see the lines better. I'm sure there's a less-roundabout way to do that, but, well, that's what I'm doing for now.

Regarding the element of "how do you know where to put the lines," it's basically just the same good-ol'-fashioned perspective that I'd do with pen and paper -- my biggest problem whenever I did perspective on paper was that I'd have five extra sheets of paper taped to the side of my desk to reach the vanishing point. With this photoshop method, I basically do exactly the same thing, but with an infinite canvas and no need for really long rulers.

I find/draw in the horizon line (if I'm doing things the way I'm supposed to) when I first draw the panel, since it determines where all my figures go, and then I'll rough in the perspective I kinda want (which you can see in my pencils, prior to adding the perspective grid over top). I don't use any rulers, which is why it can sometimes get kinda funky and inconsistent at this stage.
When I scan the pencils in, I'll go into photoshop and mark the horizon line with the line tool, and then find a line of perspective I like -- like say, the edge of the roof, the frame of a door -- and use the line tool to see where that line would hit the horizon line if I dragged it out. That intersection becomes my vanishing point, and then I just drag every other line in the picture so it hits that point. IF THAT COMPLETELY NON-VISUAL EXPLANATION MAKES ANY SENSE AT ALL.

When I print out the pencils in non-photo blue for inking, I'll just tweak the perspective elements in pencil to follow the grid a little better, and then ink. I don't use rulers here either; I kinda think that makes the drawing feel less organic. Very few middle-ages-style buildings are perfectly straight anyway. :3

Phew! Hope that answers your question somewhat? Maybe I'll whip together some kind of visual aid for this process at some point.

posted at 10:02am on June 28th, 2011

Reply by Cloud

That... actually made perfect sense! Ahahahaha, that sounds like a really good idea though - the whole draw things roughly where they're supposed to be, and then go back in and fix up the little things... it's a step that often ought to be included, but isn't. Yes, the response may have gotten long, but it was informative! That sounds awesome. And workable, fairly easily done once you have the actual horizon line and points to work off of. And I agree with the long rulers - they can become a pain and ruin a bit of the artist's style/touch or.... whatever you want to call it-ness that runs through the original drawing. That is really cool. I'm so glad I understand the process now! ^^ Thanks!

posted at 2:40pm on July 4th, 2011

Comment by Meggyc

For some reason. I can't get the mental image of dragons with southern accents out of my head.

I love Severian's expressions here, especially in panel four. And I absolutely love that "Oh hell no." last panel. XD

posted at 5:41pm on June 27th, 2011

Reply by Shazzbaa

Sev is so done with this crap.

*snirk* See for some reason I hadn't even gone to like... a dragon with a southern drawl running a tobacco plantation. (Mus' be why dragons smoke so much lololol) BUT NO ACTUALLY south of Varænske is the country of Ilvanov, which is kinda sorta comparable to Africa, and that is where dragons are usually found! :3 (Maybe someday I'll draw a map)

posted at 10:20am on June 28th, 2011

Comment by Hiai

Okay, I have to say it's exciting being on the "ground floor", so to speak, of the developing story. The other wbcomics I read are great, but I came in on most of them after they had been developed for awhile, story-wise, and read the archives to catch up. Only downfall here is the WAIT. Oh my I love this story already!

posted at 8:48pm on June 27th, 2011

Reply by Shazzbaa

Oh man, thank you! You need to know how much this comment completely made my day!

AND SHOOT, I know it, this week-long wait is intense for me, too. I wish I could draw these pages faster! XD It's so awesome to see people enjoying the story less than ten pages in, though; I'm really glad you're liking it so far!

posted at 10:09am on June 28th, 2011

Comment by Silver

Facestealer has taken a human form! Oh noes! And they're in the middle of a crowd of people. This could be very, very bad. ._.

So...Facestealer can fabricate its body into clothing as well as other forms? That's pretty cool. Of course, that means that if you hurt the clothes, you also hurt it, so that's helpful.

posted at 12:12am on June 30th, 2011

Comment by Random Passerby

... So wait, are shoggoths an actual creature in Runewriters-verse, or do they have some kind of equivalent to Lovecraft?

posted at 4:08pm on October 9th, 2013